Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Diabetes Food Pyramid

The image to the right is an image of the diabetes food pyramid. The bottom of the pyramid which is the biggest part of the pyramid is supposed to be the majority of your daily food intake. About 40% according to the ADA. The top of the pyramid is the least amount of food type you should eat on a daily basis. I don't agree with this because the bottom of the pyramid is breads grains and other starches. The American Diabetic Association says their ideas are based on years of clinical research and that their way is the best. You should check your blood sugar readings 1 hour after you eat and have your doctor adjust your medicine accordingly if you follow their plan. But I am a type 2 diabetic who takes Byetta and Actos and otherwise controls my diabetes with diet and exercise. If I consumed 40% of my daily food intake from this food group I would have to go on insulin to control my blood glucose levels. I don't think this is a good idea. I try to eat as least of this food group as possible. Although I do eat 2 Fiber Plus whole grain snack bars daily to get my required daily intake of whole grains and fiber. So as much talk as their is about the diabetic food pyramid I don't agree with the 40% of your daily food intake from the bottom portion of the pyramid aspect. Maybe 15%-25% tops, thats it. Sorry, maybe if you are taking insulin already this is a good idea, but not yet for me. I will stick with low carb, low fat and high protein for my diet.

No comments: